All ready to go, everything stowed, tide is now high for navigating Moon Creak, turn the key…….. nothing.
The previous night I had drained a little water from one of the Racor water separators. I then tested the motor, there was a slight wine that I had never heard before. When I killed the motor it stopped with a different noise from usual. I re started the motor and it sounded like something was rubbing on a fan belt, I checked and couldn’t see any problems. Re started then suddenly a noise like insulation ripping and all sounded good again. On inspection nothing was out of place. Re started motor and everything was back to normal. Next day go to start and nothing.
A quick bit of troubleshooting and the armature in the starter motor was found to be the culprit. A quick text to Ness in Fremantle with part numbers and minutes later she had a new starter organised in Cairns. Starter motor and new socket set picked up first thing in the morning and it was all go 30 minutes later. Now have to wait for high tide at 4pm. Another days delay.
While I was working on the starter motor I checked the engine details. The engine model quoted on all the paperwork including the manufacturers paperwork was wrong. Luckily the same starter motor fitted all engines from that model family.